Talk about sneaking vegetables in the window. This grab-'n-go snack has zucchini and carrots, along with egg whites, wheat germ and other healthy ingredients.
- 9 oz. zucchini, shredded
- 9 oz. apple, shredded
- 12 oz. carrots, shredded
- 3 oz. sugar
- 3 oz. oats
- 3 oz. wheat germ
- 8 oz. egg whites
- 6 oz. molasses
- 4 oz. oil
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 6 oz. bread flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 8 oz. date sugar
- 4 oz. cream
- 4 oz. butter
- In a large bowl, combine all shredded ingredients-carrots,
apples and zucchini-with sugar, wheat germ and oats. Allow to stand
for 10 minutes-the sugar will draw liquid from the zucchini and
carrots, which will be absorbed by the wheat germ and oats.
- Combine egg whites, molasses and oil using a whisk.
- Sift together flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and
- Add flour mixture to shredded carrots mixture, stirring until
- Add egg white-molasses-vanilla mixture, stirring until
- Pour into parchment paper-lined half-sheet pan (12 x 18).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until completely set in
- Combine date sugar, butter and cream in saucepan and bring to a
- Cook gently for about two minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill thoroughly.
- Spread onto carrot bars using a frosting spatula with a
decorative swirled pattern.
Yield: ½ sheet pan, (24 servings)
See more of 's stories here.