Don't let the name fool you: Yes, this is a vegetarian dish, but even the most carnivorous members of your brood will still love it.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 12 egg whites
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes,
- 1 package (8 ounces) frozen vegetarian breakfast sausage
patties, thawed and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute onion and peppers in oil
until tender. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, eggs and milk.
Stir in hash browns, crumbled sausage, cheese, salt, pepper and
- Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking
spray. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until a knife
inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes
before cutting. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 141 calories, 9 g fat
(4 g saturated fat), 166 mg cholesterol, 404 mg sodium, 3 g
carbohydrate, trace fiber, 10 g protein.
See more of 's stories here.