When making matzo balls, nothing beats small hands for forming the round balls of dough. Wetting your hands will prevent the dough from sticking. To serve, place one or two matzo balls in bowls of hot chicken soup. Feel free to add vegetables such as onions, carrots or celery, but noodles or crackers are not permitted during Passover.
Makes 12 matzo balls
- 4 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 cup matzo meal*
- ½ cup seltzer or club soda
- 1-2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Add oil, matzo meal, parsley, salt
and pepper. Stir together with a fork.
- Add the seltzer or club soda and stir gently to combine, but do
not over-mix. Cover bowl and refrigerate for several hours.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. To form the matzo
balls, scoop up handfuls of dough and roll into ping-pong sized
ball. (The matzo balls will double in size when cooked.)
- Gently place the matzo balls in the boiling water and turn the
heat down so the water is simmering. Cover and cook-no peeking!-for
25-30 minutes until the matzo balls are cooked through.
*Matzo meal is nothing more than crushed matzo, like a dry
See more of 's stories here.