You've heard applesauce can be a heart-healthy substitution in baked goods. Try this simple bar-and-icing recipe and see for yourself.
- 12 oz. all-purpose flour
- 7 oz. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. salt
- 16 oz. applesauce
- 9 oz. sunflower seed oil
- 2 eggs
- 5 oz. apples, preferably Granny Smith, peeled and cut into
Low-fat cream cheese frosting
- 4 oz. low-fat cream cheese
- 4 oz. margarine
- 4 oz. powdered sugar
- 2 oz. yogurt
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Combine applesauce, oil and eggs in bowl using whisk. Mixture
should begin to appear thick and homogeneous.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until
- Fold in apple chunks.
- Portion three-quarters full in muffin cups.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, until completely set.
For the icing:
Cream together all ingredients, and add yogurt at
end of mixing process.
Yield: Two dozen cupcakes
See more of 's stories here.