Carlucci executive chef Kevin Provenzano
This recipe is made in two stages. The squash and the assembly.
You want to intensify and concentrate the flavor of the squash. Long, slow roasting will accomplish this.
For the squash:
- 1-2 butternut squash, you will need 1 lb. 4 oz of roasted
- 1 ¾ oz brown sugar
- ¾ oz sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ tsp kosher salt
I prefer to use weight measures for liquids, it is more accurate
- 9 x 13 x 2 baking pan
- 9 oz heavy whipping cream
- 2 lbs mascarpone cheese
- the squash preparation
- 10 egg yolks
- 7 oz sugar
- 40-50 ladyfinger cookies
- Pure maple syrup for dipping ladyfinger cookies(about 2C + 3/4C
water), I also add Navan Vanilla Liqueur to taste
- Note: While you can substitute
canned pumpkin puree the result will not be the same.
For the squash:
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Cut and halve the butternut squash. Remove the seeds and
- Place the squash cut side down on a sheet pan. Place in the
oven and roast for about three hours. The squash should be soft and
its juices brown and bubbling.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh.
- Measure 1 lb 4 oz of squash and puree in a food processor or in
a food mill.
- Put the flesh in a mixing bowl. Mix in the rest of the
ingredients and chill.
- Whip the cream to stiff. Set aside in the fridge.
- Gently heat the maple syrup, don't make it too hot as you will
be dipping your fingers into it. Set aside and keep warm.
- Place the mascarpone, squash, sugar and egg yolks in the bowl
of an electric mixer. Mix using the paddle attachment until just
- Change the paddle to the whisk attachment and whip the mixture
to a stiff whipped cream consistency.
- Take the whipped cream and fold that into the mascarpone. Set
- To assemble, start by dipping the lady fingers in the warm
syrup and laying them on the bottom of the baking pan. Add half of
the cream and smooth with a spatula. Repeat the process for the
- Let rest covered in the fridge for about 4 hours.
- Garnish with a drizzle of maple syrup (and if you wish a blend
of powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg to sprinkle on top).
See more of 's stories here.