This AllRecipes.com entry is easy to make, but a bit time-consuming. Serve with warm whipped cream or ice cream.
- 1 recipe pastry for double-crust pie
- 6 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and cored
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Butter a
9x13 inch pan.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a large
rectangle, about 24 by 16 inches. Cut into 6 square pieces. Place
an apple on each pastry square with the cored opening facing
upward. Cut butter into 8 pieces. Place 1 piece of butter in the
opening of each apple; reserve remaining butter for sauce. Divide
brown sugar between apples, poking some inside each cored opening
and the rest around the base of each apple. Sprinkle cinnamon and
nutmeg over the apples.
- With slightly wet fingertips, bring one corner of pastry
square up to the top of the apple, then bring the opposite corner
to the top and press together. Bring up the two remaining corners,
and seal. Slightly pinch the dough at the sides to completely seal
in the apple. Repeat with the remaining apples. Place in prepared
- In a saucepan, combine water, white sugar, vanilla
extract and reserved butter. Place over medium heat, and bring to a
boil in a large saucepan. Boil for 5 minutes, or until sugar is
dissolved. Carefully pour over dumplings.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Place each
apple dumpling in a dessert bowl, and spoon some sauce over the
See more of 's stories here.