I have the perfect recipe for this weekend as the temperature finally cools down - Buttermilk Blueberry Cake! Once again, I have substituted out some of the not-so-healthy ingredients like butter and added in healthy alternatives. No one will miss the heaping amount of butter or loads of sugar usually found in buttermilk cake.
My kiddos measured and counted (utilized math skills), poured and stirred (strengthened their tiny muscles). They were ecstatic about baking a breakfast cake!
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter, applesauce and yogurt with lemon zest and 3/4 cup sugar until fluffy.
2. Add egg and vanilla.
3. Toss blueberries with ¼ cup of flour (this prevents the blueberries from sinking to the bottom), then whisk together the remaining flour, baking powder and salt.
4. Add flour mixture to batter, alternating with the buttermilk. Fold in the blueberries.
5. Grease a 9-inch baking pan with baking spray.
6. Spread batter into pan.
7. Sprinkle the top of the batter with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
8. Bake 35-40 minutes. Allow cake to cool before serving.
Mandy is a mom of two children, who hopes to inspire families to have fun in the kitchen together.
See more of Mandy's stories here.