For a meal that I can prep in advance, I like to make meatloaf. In an effort to appeal to my kiddos, I had them help me prepare it and bake the meatloaf into cupcakes. They were confused at first when I pulled out meat and not sugar but in the end, they loved their cupcake creation!
My daughter enjoyed getting her hands dirty by blending the ingredients together. I was happy to prep the meatloaf in advance and had my son help me brush on the topping before popping them into the oven. I hope your family loves this fun and simple meatloaf recipe. These cupcakes are also terrific as an appetizer!
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine meat, diced carrots, diced onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder, breadcrumbs, egg and ¼ cup ketchup. Use your hands to really blend ingredients together.
3. Mold the meat to form 12 cupcake shapes and place in a lined or greased muffin tray.
4. In a small bowl, combine ¼ cup ketchup, ½ tsp mustard and 1 tbsp BBQ sauce for topping. Brush "frosting" over each cupcake.
5. Bake for 40 minutes or until cooked through.
Mandy is a mom of two children, who hopes to inspire families to have fun in the kitchen together.
See more of Mandy's stories here.